Saturday, July 25, 2015

The last few days

These last few days have been a whirlwind- everyone knows and understands that the trip is winding down but doesn't necessarily want to accept it. After our last build day in Modesto the Bike and Build Program Director arrived for our finish, a true sign that our trip is coming to a close. Our rides have been such a blast, even the climbs I take with a smile as I know that I can conquer them just like I have done with all of the others. Today we made stops for donuts, In-N-Out, and for fresh fruit, and still made it to the host before 4, and got to enjoy even the smallest of moments with each other. For a little while my ride group was going around 30 mph on flat land after an energy surge and I couldn't help but have a massive smile on the whole time. If someone told me I'd be able to do that at the beginning of the trip I'd just smile and laugh at them.

This evening was hands down one of my favorite Bike and Build nights. It started off with Margaret and myself dancing to throwbacks in a room of people just sitting around for a good hour and turned into a dance party that rivaled high school prom. We used flashing bike lights  and the YMCA's stereo system and after about four hours of dancing we finally called it quits. Half of it was pure happiness and the other half was acknowledging that on our last real night together, we are something more than 29 people trying to reach the Pacific- we are a family of 29 deep that have grown so attached to one another that we hesitate dipping our tires in the Pacific because it will mean that this journey is over.

I will try and post about tomorrow as soon as possible but the next few days are guaranteed to be hectic so I hope you will cut me some slack. I also vow not to get too emotional, but could potentially/will probably break that. Thanks for all of the support thus far- the texts, letters and posts make my day everyday. 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing so faithfully through your blog. I know it's been a small challenge to be consistent with this posting, but I think you will enjoy going back to it once in a while through the coming years.

    Congrats! :0)

    ReplyDelete